Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts invites guests to get involved in World Environment Day activities
Dubai – Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts is inviting its guests around the globe to join its efforts to mark World Environment Day on June 5. From beach clean ups and tree planting to fun recycling projects and organic gardening, the hospitality firm’s hotel teams across the globe are embracing the United Nations initiative with a raft of events.
Selected properties across Africa, Asia, Europe and the Middle East have planned a vast range of activities in support of the UN initiative, which encourages worldwide awareness and action for the protection of the environment.
Established in 1974, World Environment Day is celebrated in more than 100 countries and is widely regarded as the people’s day for doing something to take care of the Earth.
This year’s theme is ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’– a call to action to combat one of today’s greatest environmental challenges, with plastic pollution posing a significant threat to natural places, wildlife and human health.
Mövenpick – the world’s most Green Globe certified hotel company – aims to raise awareness of this and other major environmental issues by staging a variety of educational and practical activities at several properties worldwide on June 5, with guests of all ages invited to join its hotel teams to take part. Some of these hands-on initiatives include:
Gardening and planting
• Mövenpick Resort & Spa Jimbaran Bali will plant 200 mangroves and clean up plastic in the forest as part of the area’s reforestation efforts.
• Mövenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh will invite guests to plant trees and crops and help harvest vegetables in its expansive organic farm, which already produces 35 different kinds of fruits, vegetables and herbs.
• Mövenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna will ask guests to plant their own tree and mark it with their name. This will create Earth Park 2018 and enable repeat guests to visit ‘their’ tree every time they come back to El Gouna.
• Mövenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu is organising several activities to educate its young guests about green issues that include a trash-art masterpiece workshop using empty mineral water bottles. It will also screen a movie about the importance of being environmentally friendly and explain the benefits of tree- and seed-planting and taking care of the world’s natural resources.
• Mövenpick Hotel Hanoi is staging a painting contest for children under the theme ‘we love our green planet’, encouraging them to think about ways to protect the planet from pollution.
• Mövenpick Hotel Ankara will be collecting colourful waste plastic covers to make different kinds of toys with the children living at the Turkish Social Service, which they will then be able to keep.
• Mövenpick Hotel Colombo will clean up the Negombo coastline and implement bins where future waste can be deposited.
• Mövenpick Residences Bangtao Beach Phuket, Mövenpick Resort & Spa Karon Beach Phuket and Mövenpick Siam Hotel Na Jomtien Pattaya will all invite guests to help with their large-scale beach-cleaning efforts.
• Mövenpick Hotel Zürich-Airport will be clearing waste in local play areas and in the streets around the hotel.
“Our World Environment Day initiatives are an extension of our CSR programme SHINE and demonstrate our ongoing commitment to preserving the communities and the natural environment where we operate our properties,” said Craig Cochrane, Senior Vice President Human Resources, Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts.
We hope that by inviting our guests to join in hotel activities to celebrate this important UN event, we are doing our part to raise awareness of pertinent issues in a way that fosters team spirit and brings us all closer together in pursuit of a universally-important goal – protecting our planet.”